Thursday, August 4, 2011

Characters from my Redesign of OZ

I'm trying to build up my portfolio so I decided to redesign the story of the Wizard of Oz, redesign the characters, redesign the landscape, etc. fun stuff! So here we have the main gang that go off on their adventure down the yellow brick road to the Emerald City.

I decided to put Dorothy in the 1930s. She's not a little girl like in the original story, maybe around 15 or 16 years old. I decided to keep the ruby red slippers instead of the silver slippers that she has in the original story because I just like that contrast of red with her classic blue gingham dress. I tried to make the shoes very whimsical and unique so they would look like they contained magical powers.

The Cowardly Lion! He's a traditional looking lion and he could look very menacing which contrasts well with his cowardly but kind nature.

The Tin Man was fun to design. I made a big heart shaped hole in his chest just to emphasize the fact that he is missing a heart, which is the one thing that he needs to make him complete. I made his neck permanently cocked to the side because after a while it sort of just rusted to the side, but he gets that fixed after he visits the Emerald City.

The Scarecrow is very tall and slender. I gave him a kind looking face because he's never able to successfully scare off the crows in the cornfield he was placed in. With his eyes I made them look like they are never really focused on one thing in particular (he tends to space off and is in a constant state of wonder...like a baby!) because he's without a brain.

No comments:

Post a Comment